Hello, hungry ones!
As we’ve said before, our community is growing and our friend, Donna, has shared her brilliant recipe for cupcakes using Philippine fruits. Now I don’t know if you have calamansi or Katchamita in your neighbourhood Asian stores, but for Filipinos – go pick these fruits from your backyard and start making cupcakes!
What you need:
For the cupcakes –
- 1/4 C butter, softened
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 C milk
- Juice of 3 huge calamansis
- Bits of katchamita (Indian mango)
For the Vanilla Buttercream Icing –
- 1/2 C butter, softened
- 1-2 cups powdered (confectioners’) sugar
- 1/8 cup heavy cream (or milk or half-and-half)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Mango slices for decoration, if desired
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Beat butter and sugar together on medium speed in a large bowl until creamed. About 2-3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until everything is combined, about 2 full minutes. Set aside.
- Toss flour, baking powder, and salt together. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, stirring by hand after each addition. Batter will be thick. Add the milk, calamansi juice, and mango bits. Mix until just combined, do not overmix.
- Pour batter evenly into the cupcake liners. Bake for about 20 minutes. Check at 18 minutes, then again at 20.
- To make the frosting, beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for about 3-4 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, cream, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or more cream if mixture is too thick. Add more salt if frosting is too sweet. Frost cooled cupcakes.
- Dairy-free Chocolate Cupcake Recipe (dairyfree.answers.com)
- Red Velvet Cupcakes….Redux (leeksoupblog.com)
- How to Make Chocolate Frosting From Scratch (cooking.answers.com)
- Pina Colada Cupcakes Optometry School Style (annahall1123.wordpress.com)
- margarita cupcakes with tequila lime frosting (melfunktion.wordpress.com)