Hello, hungry ones!
Embutido is perhaps one of the most memorable dishes I can ever think of. It sure is a meatloaf log, but it is a special meatloaf log. I remember my paediatrician’s secretary peddling her embutido and tocino as we buy my anti-asthma meds and antibiotics. For a long time, I thought embutido is a health-related (okay, medicine!) thing, that would help people get well because it is just delish.
But I grew up. 🙂
What you need:
- 1/2 kg ground beef
- 1 onion minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small can of peas
- 1 carrot (grated finely)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 eggs hard boiled quartered
- 3-4 hotdogs/vienna sausage
- 1/2 C breadcrumbs
- 1/2 C tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 T salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1/2 t sugar to taste
- 12 cheese slices in to 2×2 inch thick strips
- 1/4 C raisins (optional because Alex LOATHES raisins – this is her recipe after all haha)
What to do:
1. In a bowl mix all ingredients except for cheese, hard boiled eggs, and hot dogs. When all is mixed, slice the eggs and hotdogs into something like this:
2. On aluminium foil, lay down the pork mixture like this and place egg, hotdog, cheese like so it should make about 4 rolls. 3 sets of cheese, hotdog and egg for each roll.
3. Pack it tightly. Forming a cylinder? I did mine around 6inches in length just enough to fit the steamer. So… it depends on how big your steamer is.
4. While fastening, secure the edges like candy wrapper making sure it doesn’t rip; it’s not loose, and there won’t be any overflowing pork mixture in the sides.
5. Go back to the steamer, which should be ready by now. I used the rice cooker’s. Added a liter of water to it. Steam it for 1 hr for each. Then when done, place it in the refrigerator to cool and harden. If you’re in a hurry, chuck it in the freezer!
6. When it’s done slice, and fry it or you can eat it cold.
- Embutido: A Filipino Meatloaf (thenotsocreativecook.wordpress.com)
- Embutido (meat loaf style) (davidthompsoncafeteria.wordpress.com)
- My Meatloaf Recipe for Now (christophercolumbus3sr.wordpress.com)
- Super Brunch (kriscamatutino.com)
- Yummy Meatloaf! (greenenvy4ever.wordpress.com)