Hello, hungry ones! I know cinnamon and dried fruit will be the ones in the limelight as Christmas is just around the corner but let’s try my boy’s favourite onion and cheese as the highlight of this recipe.
Let’s just say that this is my way of spending Christmas away from him, making something that I know he will like; the thought that if he were here I know he’d gobble it up makes me smile. I know this because hell, this is a fine, fine bread to eat.
What you need:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 envelope or 2 1/4 t Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded smoked Edam cheese
- 2 T coconut oil
- butter for brushing
What to do:
1. Combine water, yeast and sugar in a large mixer bowl. Let stand 5 minutes, until foamy. Add salt, oil and 1 cup flour; beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
2. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 6 to 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a well greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
While dough is rising, cook onion over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are lightly caramelized. Set aside to cool.
3. Punch dough down. Roll into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Spread onions over dough and then sprinkle with cheese. Roll dough up from long side, jelly roll style. Pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 equal slices.
4. Place each slice in a greased muffin pan, cut side up. Brush with butter. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
5. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Remove to wire rack to cool. Enjoy! Try having a sunny side up on it for brekkie!
- Crustless Bacon And Cheese Quiche Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Fig, Feta, Bacon Pizza (dinnerwithjane.wordpress.com)
- Blue Cheese, Caramelized Onion and Fig Crostini (theswooningspoon.com)
- Breakfast Pinwheels (allofanythings.wordpress.com)
- Philly Flatbread Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)